In September I asked Jordyn what she wanted to be for Halloween this year. "A Princess!" she said. Well, she was Princess Cinderella last year, and Tinkerbell the year before, so I kind of wanted to get out of the prissy-girly-dressy themes and do something a little bit different. I talked to her about different ideas that we could be for Halloween, and explained that Daddy and I would dress up with her. In the end, we all agreed that we would be the Potato Head Family. Jordyn LOVED the idea and was SO excited to be a Potato Head for Halloween.
I debated making our costumes by hand, but with working two jobs, taking three classes, and trying to be a wife and mother, my time is kind of limited. Just a little. So I ended up finding these costumes on E-Bay which were absolutely adorable. After shipping and handling and everything, I had invested just over $150 in our costumes. I convinced myself it was worth it though - and couldn't wait to see the reaction we got to our costumes.
One morning, just a few days before Halloween, Jordyn announced that she did NOT want to be a Potato Head any more. She wanted to be Avatar instead. Avatar?? Really?? A few of the thoughts going through my head...
- I'm going to strangle Jeff for letting her watch that movie!
- Ugh - Avatar is SO UGLY!
- $150 bucks on costumes and now she wants to be Avatar???
- Would I be crushing her first memorable Halloween by not letting her be what she wants?
- Jeff is in SO MUCH TROUBLE!
- What do I do? Paint my kid blue and let her wander around practically naked on Halloween?
- I don't want her to be traumatized for life because Mommy wouldn't let her be Avatar for Halloween.
- Avatar??? YUCK!
- JEFF!!!
After much contemplation, I did what any good mother in that situation would do... I saught out expert advice by posting my problem on Facebook. Here's some of the responses I received...
"I say make her stick with the theme if you paid that much for the costumes. She can be Avatar next year."
"I'm making my son stick with the dragon he picked out in Sept.; he thinks he wants to be Batman now."
And my favorite...
"Halloween is still 3-4 days away. If you buy an Avatar costume she will want to be a Princess on Friday and come Saturday she will want to be a Potato Head again :)"
Well, due to popular vote, we decided to stick with the Potato Head theme. Halloween finally came and we started the festivities at my mom's; eating pizza and exchanging candy with my sister and her kids. We visited my grandparents, then we headed back to Brigham for the Trunk-or-Treat. Wouldn't you know it, by the time we got to the church, Jordyn was SOUND ASLEEP in the back seat of the car. So, just like last year, Jeff and I had to do the Trick-or-Treating for Jordyn, while she slept for the remainder of the evening.
I guess she went from being a Princess, to being a Potato Head, to being Avatar, to being a Drama Queen. And in the end she ended up being exactly what she wanted to be in the first place - a Princess. Sleeping Beauty.


3 Meaningful Memos:
Cute post!!! and love your costumes!!!
She is a sleeping beauty! What cute costumes! I love it.
how stinkin' cute are you>?? I mean seriously. That is WAY TOO CUTE. k....I am still caught up on the last post! I can't even believe it girl! Geez. I need details! Go read my other comment! Much love to you!
**Call me again soon. I'm sorry I never got back to you! It's been so insanely busy but I really do wanna meet up with you!
Post a Comment