Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Where did my life go?

The other night I was talking with a friend at school - she's my age, has served a mission, has her CNA license, and is engaged to be married this summer. In catching up with her, I couldn't help but feel a little bit envious of her position in life, and started thinking about all the ambitions I used to have that I've never fulfilled. Don't get me wrong, I love my life and my family, and am thankful for all the good things that I've got going for me. But still there's something inside me that still looks back and misses all those exciting opportunities that I didn't get to do. Anyways, after I got through talking to her, I found myself thinking about the good 'ol days and thinking - "Man - I USED to be so cool!" Here are some of my thoughts:

I USED to be able to stay out late, pull all-nighters, and never miss a beat. NOW I'm absolutely drained by 9:00pm, and if I'm up past midnight, consider me completly non-functional for the next 24 hours!

I USED to get excited about parties, dates, shopping, etc. NOW I'm THRILLED when my 21-month-old goes pee pee in the potty.

I USED to keep up on the new hit music singles and movie premieres. NOW I find myself sitting at my desk at work and humming the theme song to "Elmo's World."

I USED to have big plans for the weekends - waterskiing, dating, hanging out with friends, etc. NOW my biggest weekend plan is to try and clean as much stuff up as I can before it gets messed up again.

I USED to love to find killer deals on clothes and shoes. NOW I'm totally enthused to find a $0.79 sale on Fruit Snacks.

I USED to come and go as I pleased - doing what I wanted when I wanted. NOW a simple trip to Wal-Mart is an EVENT planned days in advance with careful decision making and packing involved.

Things aren't all bad now, though! I've been blessed with a lot of really great things!

I USED to spend money on frivolous, spur-of-the-moment things, NOW I'm putting away money for Jordyn's college fund.

I USED to cry about break-ups, NOW I cry when I have to say goodbye to my daughter as I leave for work or school.

I USED to think money was the best thing in the world. NOW I would give all the money in the world to spend time with my family.

I USED to be independent - didn't need anything from anyone. NOW I can't imagine a day without my husband and my daughter. They keep me going.

Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future. But today is a gift. That's why it is called the PRESENT.

I love my life!

5 Meaningful Memos:

Angela V. said...

This is wonderful! I feel the way you do about a lot of things, but it is good to be in the present and not dwell on the past or what could have been!

Embellish the Moment said...

I'm with ya on the fruit snacks! A while ago Kents had Yo-go's on for 2/$1. I went a little over board. The days of dressing at the Buckle are over, I can hardly spend $15 for a shirt! It's funny how your perspective changes! But definately worth it.

Me said...

Isn't it funny how life changes?

Julie said...

This is such a GOOD post! I loved reading this! You totally put into words how I feel sometimes! Funny how we always want what we can't have ....seems like when I was in High School I just wanted to be married, and then when I was married, I just wanted to have a cute loveable baby, then when I had the baby, I just wanted to be single and "normal" again...Sometimes it is good to reflect back, but then move forward! Great Post!!

We DEFINITLY need to get together and play! I am so so so glad I ran into you the other day! You look great! Let me know if you ever wanna do something! (maybe go to the pool or park or something!!)

oh and PS...your little girl is STINKIN' adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helena said...

What happened was you became a mum, and yes sometimes we do pine for all the things we had or might of had, but all we have to do is look in to our children's eyes and think FOR SURE I WOULD GIVE THEM ALL UP AGAIN A 1,000 TIMES OVER TO HAVE YOU!!!!